browse by topic
red white and blue food
Make a delicious and easy…but mostly a good healthy July 4th appetizer with this amazing Salsa Rojo! Serve this yummy red salsa with some organic blue tortilla chips topped with Monterrey cheese…Red, White & Blue done easy! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium chile pepper, such as poblano, New Mexico or Anaheim, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder, or chili powder (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened slightly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Pulse to make a chunky sauce, or until desired consistency. (Use caution when pureeing hot ingredients.)
- Let cool to room temperature, about 11/2 hours. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.