browse by topic
Here is a quick recipe for some delicious and healthy, Brain Power Granola. This is a great snack for anyone needing a little brain boost. You can also add milk to the granola for a great breakfast or add it to yogurt! This is a really yummy homemade recipe that you will love!
Brain Power Granola
2 cups regular oats (gluten free)
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds (I sometimes sub in some pistachios for walnuts or almonds)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 300°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
Mix orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cooking over medium heat just until the sugar dissolves, making sure you are stirring frequently. Remove mixture from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture we first created, stirring to coat. Spread this mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 10 minutes; stir well. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the granola is a golden brown. Spoon granola into a bowl, then stir in dried cranberries. Cool completely.
If the Brain Power Granola outlasts a hungry household and you have extra, you will want to store completely cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
This week on Kids Corner, I will be introducing you to a healthy recipe. The meal is quick, easy, and scrum-diddly-umptious! So without further a due, let’s get to the recipe!
Chicken, Zucchini, and Prosciutto:
1. 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4. 2 tablespoons olive oil
5. 1/4 pound (about 8 slices) prosciutto
6. 3 small zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons
7. 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
8. 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 400° F. Season the chicken with ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper to give the chicken a little pop of flavor
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 2 minutes per side so it turns golden
- Once golden, transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a second skillet, over medium heat, heat the remaining oil. Cook the prosciutto until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate so you can start serving.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, and remaining salt and pepper to the skillet and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. This gives it a salty but a delicious flavor to all the vegetables.
- Add the prosciutto and zucchini mixture to the skillet with the chicken, squeeze the lemon over the top, and toss. Divide among the plates so you or your family/friends can enjoy!
This is one of my family’s favorite meals, and it gives us a chance to work together in the kitchen to prepare it. After, we get to sit down as a family and talk about our day, and eat a delicious meal together. I think its important for all families to sit down together as a family because it brings everyone closer and creates a stronger bond between everyone.