browse by topic
family & friends
A perfect game day treat, is a must. Deciding what will make your menu, could be challenging! For me, any excuse to make a bunch of delicious food and drinks, is a welcomed challenge. Making the food, enjoying it with friends and family, while watching the Super Bowl…equals an awesome day! The main focus of this years Super Bowl menu for my gang, will be homemade pork tamales. Paired with more homemade deliciousness, like refried beans, spanish rice, salsa and guacamole, the menu is perfect. So lets get ready for some family and food time!
Makes 4 dozen tamales
2 lb pork tenderloin roast
3 soaked and pureed guajillo peppers
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 T cumin
1 T minced garlic
8 C gluten free masa
2 2/3 C lard
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
8 C warm water or chicken broth
1 package corn husks
large tamale steaming pot
1. Slow cook pork roast with peppers and spices, on low in crock pot for 8 hours, or until tender. Shred pork and add some of the pan drippings to add flavor and keep meat juicy.
2. Soak corn husks in hot water, for about 30 min. Rinse and drain, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine masa, baking powder, chili power and salt. Add water or broth and mix thoroughly with your hands. Add lard and continue to mix thoroughly with your hands, combining the lard which melts with the warm water.
4. Spread masa evenly over corn husk, and spoon meat filling into the center of the masa. Close the husk, folding inward toward the center and place the tamale into a steaming pot. Continue until all masa and meat has been prepared as a tamale.
5. Cover pot, and steam for approximately an hour and a half. If tamales are sticky, more steaming time is needed. Serve tamales with salsa and sour cream.
Enjoy these for your game day, and Go Seattle Seahawks!