browse by topic
avocado seeds full of fiber
When I came across this article on MindBodyGreen.com, I was shocked to read the headline and actually had to read it a few times! It was an avocado surprise to me! I had never, ever, considered the fact that you can eat the avocado pit or seed! Yes, I said the seed!! The following is a direct excerpt from the article on MindBodyGreen.com, and I will be trying the avocado pit smoothie for sure! The curiosity is killing me! Mind blown.
It comes as no surprise that avocados are incredibly healthy, but did you know that the pit houses most of its antioxidants? That’s right — the part that you have been throwing away! By consuming it, you will reap the following benefits:
- It acts as a digestive aid. Because the pit is high in soluble fiber, your GI tract will love it.
- The fiber will alsokeep you feeling full, thereby diminishing cravings.
- Considering the pit is full of antioxidants, it willkeep your skin glowing. In fact, it can even repair cell damage caused by free radicals and rebuild collagen.
- A phytochemical known as flavonol is found in the seed, which mayreduce tumor growth.
- A study conducted by Pennsylvania State University found that the avocado seeds may improve high cholesterol and even help in the treatment of hypertension and diabetes.
- It contains several nutrients, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
In order to utilize these nutritious powerhouses, you can either blend them up in your smoothies or grate them and then sprinkle them on top of your salads or other food. If you do not have a high-powered blender, you can grind the pit into a fine powder using a food processor. Because the seed tastes bitter, it is best to pair it with strong flavors. You may want to just utilize half of the pit at a time for a single-serve smoothie.
Delicious Avocado Pit Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1½ medium banana
- 1 avocado pit or avocado pit powder
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder of choice
- 5 drops essential orange oil (optional)
In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend on a medium-high setting for a minute. Enjoy!