Reasons Hiking is Good For You
We all know that aerobic exercise is good for us. The question is what are some different types and how do they really benefit the body? Today I will discuss and give some reasons hiking is good for you.
- Improved cardio-respiratory fitness (heart, lungs, blood vessels)
- Improved muscular fitness
- Lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower risk of high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Lower risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides
Living in the pacific Northwest, we have hiking trails in abundance. But I can recall that over the years, and the many moved we’ve endured, finding a wildlife habitat was a first priority. I have taken the kids on walks and hikes through those wildlife habitats since they were born! There is just something amazing about sharing space with all of God’s creatures. The kids have aways loved to collect items as we walk, and they would place them in a journal. It made the hike, fun and educational.
Children benefit from hiking the same as us adults do, and it can be used as a great bonding time. Here are five specific benefits that kids will reap when enjoying a hike or any aerobic activities:
- Improved cardiovascular, respiratory and muscular fitness
- Stronger bone health
- Exercise lessens the chance of becoming overweight
- Reduces the chance of developing risk factors for heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Possibly reduce the risk of depression. Exercise releases feel good hormones, resulting in less stress
- Mental alertness improves, resulting in kids being more ready to learn in school
- Get moving and kids are sleeping better at night
Those are great reasons for all of us to partake in some hiking. Get outdoors and enjoy Mother Nature!